Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Are you kidding me?

Thank goodness today it was released that the Specialty Sleep Association will hold a meeting defining "natural" in the mattress business.

Just yesterday, I was talking to a particular rep, from a particular "S" brand, with a popular natural line up. I've always been known to ask pointed questions, not usually on purpose, but more so out of curiosity. So, I said "If this mattress is so natural, how does it pass FR?" (FR has to do with our fire laws on mattresses). I was expecting his answer to be "A wool sock," because that is how most good natural lines pass. No, he said "With Teflon." Are you kidding me? You must be joking right? The newest chemical that is supposedly killing us, is the SECOND LAYER IN THIS BED?! On top of the NATURAL latex layers?!@ I don't know that I said anything else to him. I'm sure that I just looked at him like he had lost his mind.

It gives me goose bumps to think about it. I will not have this product in my store with the word "natural" on it, when the second layer is Teflon. I look forward to the SSA meeting, even though it is going to cost me an extra arm and leg to stay another day in FL for it (it is right after another big industry event).

I really want to e-mail the spokesperson for this product, that I am pictured with in a previous FT article, and ask him if he knows this. That may just be upturning the applecart, but, I don't know that he would want his face on it if he knew.

No comments: