Tuesday, July 8, 2008

READ THE CONTRACT

I will never forget this as long as I live-

I was standing in Garner, in a house, it was probably 95 outside, and 90 inside. When my lovely Realtor (who was my ex boyfriend) hands me all these Realtor retainer forms to sign. So, I started reading them. I was mildly miffed that I would have to agree for him to represent me for 90 days, but hey, he'd been screwed before so I understood.

As I stood there sweating, and reading, he got angrier and angrier. I don't care who you are or what my relationship is with you, I am going to read something before I sign it.

This is a lesson that needs to be learned by everyone. Don't just think that because your sibling, parent, spouse, dog, whoever, asks you to sign something that you shouldn't read it. I know more people in more of a mess because they didn't read what they were signing.

Even when your attorney hands you something, I don't care if it is 20 pages long, READ IT.

While I'm on it. Verbal contracts mean NOTHING. Write it down on a bar napkin and sign it if you have agreed to something. It's best to get it notarized by an official, but a bar napkin is better than a handshake.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good for you and for preaching the gospel. Tell said real estate agent he can just go sit in the truck in front of the AC ;-) He works for YOU... and apparently for 90 days that's the way it's gonna have to work if he wants your biz. (Haha, jk... sort of.)