Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Maybe I just don't get it...

CEO's confuse me.

Well, CEO's that I don't know. In our industry, they trade CEOs like baseball cards.

I will never forget sitting at the Bedding Conference two years ago, and having a CEO explain that he use to work for Chiclet and how upset his daughter was when he left there, until he told her he would get her a new bed.

So now, the new Tempur CEO is from Campbell's Soup. He use to be CEO of J.Crew, pretty awesome. He is a friend of a neighbor, and probably a pretty cool guy. That still doesn't help me understand what soup and beds have in common.

I have been in this industry my entire life, and there are still days that it baffles me. How the heck can someone from a totally different industry come in and run a corporation?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

The best explanation I can offer is that he probably has a history of performing in whatever capacity Tempur wants to more forward in... CEOs usually aren't over one department in particular (technically, they're over it all!), so industry experience isn't as necessary as experience in managing the entire board. Now, if it were a CMO... I'd probably want someone who knows how to market within that industry specifically if they are going to be charged with being top of the entire marketing & sales division.