Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Business Attire...

I am thankful that I grew up in DECA and at High Point Furniture market.

The lessons DECA taught me, I still use everyday. When preparing to leave for my Vegas business trip, it occurred to me that we had strict rules on travel attire. Just for fun I looked it up. DECA would have never allowed for me to wear jeans on a trip. No matter how nice I looked in them. Sorry Mrs. Gantt I wore blue jeans on the way out and sweat pants on the way in. That wouldn't have been acceptable at all. I also wore sneakers both directions. I would have never made my Charlotte connection in pretty shoes. There is a lot that can be said for comfort in travel. Even flip flops had no place in DECA. Mind you, I never wore my flops in any showrooms. I only wore them in the hallways at market. The sweatpants were for a red-eye. I wish I had a picture of me getting off that plane. I looked like death.

Everyday though, I had on a jacket. Blue blazer. Everyday, I had on khakis or some other type of nice slacks. It really made a difference. It is hard being in a mostly male industry. To be respected, you can't be in "cute" business attire. I was complimented both days on my nice shirts and blazer. Day one I had heels. Day two I had flats. I rarely took off my jacket, which is something DECA and a close friend taught me the importance off.

I was taken back at the amount of "designers" with jeans on. Also the amount of important people in golf shirts was astounding. Call me a classic High Point market girl if you must, but that is not the way we did business in North Carolina. I mentioned it to various people to hear that "You should see it at summer market!"

Granted, most of these people were not in the exact industry I'm in, but they were still there to do business in jeans. Yes, you have to walk miles a day, but jeans?!

My Dad has this theory that once you are important you can wear whatever you like and get away with it. I think that is true in your personal business, I do not think that is true when doing business with other people.

I do not have any good photos to illustrate my business attire without calling out some fellow industry people for the polo shirts.

My great grandfather was known in Greensboro for wearing a three piece suit everyday and always having a flower in his lapel. I'm fairly casual in my own business, but when it comes to business with others or big industry events, you have to look nice. Especially if it is the first time you are meeting people.

Another thing about women in business. The big hair is distracting. Really, it is. You need to be toned down. Now is not the time to be "bold." It is the time to take care of business.

No comments: